Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Who WOulda ThUNK???

SOoooooo, going back to college after the age of 25 is not a game. Since returning I have been carrying an 18 credit course load each quarter, due to my REFUSAL to be in college for a full 4 years. I SIMPLY JUST CANT DO IT! I love Love LOVE being in Culinary School, but who would have ever Thunk it would be so darn hard! The culinary part of it all is the easy part, but the management of a hospitality/restaurant/catering establishment is the kicker. Focus is my motivating word when I awake every morning to drive 20 miles into the city, to sit in these 4 hour classes, that honestly are completely redundant.

This quarter I'm in Garde' Manger (basically a class that teaches us mass production in a banquet type setting), Gastronomy (The study of food and culture), Quality Service Management, and Legal issues and Ethics for Culinarians. Surprisingly out of all of the classes, the classes (to me at least) that have the most boring names are the most interesting - Gastronomy, and the Legal class. I am a very vocal person, and my voice MUST be heard at all times, so being able to share experiences, opinions, and thoughts on an amalgam of topics lights my dry 18 hour days up tremendously.

Some of my fellow Culinarians and I.
My 6th quarter at The Art Institute of Washington is coming close to an end - in 5 weeks anyway, and I am in dire need of a break. I (thanks to my continual academic excellence, and staying on the presidents honor roll) I get to register early for classes, and have already made my choices. Since I have been doing 18 credits a quarter I have decided to up it, so that my graduation date will be closer; I have decided to (despite constant opposition) take 24 credits. No no no, I will not be in class all day long, two of them are on the weekend, and actually split; one the first half of the quarter, and the other the second. There is my drive right there! I want to do so many things, so since I did not do it early in life I have to do it NOW! :)

1 comment: